Plumbing inspection and approval is handled by the State Health Department, using the 2013 Kentucky Plumbing Code.
- The electrical code in effect is the 2011 National Electrical Code (AKA NFPA 70). Order materials concerning this code
- Applicable mechanical codes are the 2012 International Mechanical Code and the 2009 National Fuel Gas Code (AKA NFPA 54)
- The applicable energy code is the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
Obtain Copies of the KBC or KRC Amendments
To obtain copies of JBC or KRC amendments, contact:
Department of Housing Buildings, and Construction
Division of Building Code Enforcement
101 Sea Hero Road
Frankfort, KY 40601-5405
Buildings that are 10,000 square feet or more, intended for 100 or more occupancy, require a liqueur license, or places such as churches with 300 or more seating all fall under the State Building House and Construction jurisdiction - please contact them at 502-573-0364 or contact our staff for general questions.
Buildings that are located outside of the city limits of Frankfort fall under the Franklin County Planning and Building Codes jurisdiction - please contact them at 502-875-8701.
Buildings within the City limits are reviewed and approved by the City's Building Inspector, when they do not fall within State Jurisdiction.
The following exempt projects do not require a building permit, however, they do require a City Zoning permit:
- Above ground swimming pools
- Detached buildings 200 square feet or smaller
- Detached decks when less than 30 inches above grade
- Fences 7 feet or shorter
- Play structures - swing sets and the like
- Retaining walls under 4 feet in height
Before You Build
- Failure to obtain a required building permit before you begin construction will result in a permit fee of not less than $500 and may be higher!
- Call 811 [Before You Dig] - at least three days before you plan to begin any work.